One of my fondest childhood memories is spending a family vacation in a log cabin in the mountains. 25 years ago but still unforgettable. Me, my parents, and my brother. Snuggling up in front of the fireplace. Exploring the great outdoors. Spending quality time together, laughing and having fun.
To me, there is something very special about staying at a mountain lodge or historic farmhouse with family or friends. It is a special place to make lasting memories and enjoy the peaceful natural setting of the mountains. It’s the place where everyone starts to notice all the magic that is outdoors and reconnects to the things that count.
As Friedrich Schiller once said, “There is room in the smallest cottage for a happy loving pair.” Here’s a hand-picked selection of cabin rentals.
• Elev. 1,600 meters • Accessible by car • 3 Bedrooms, Living Room, Kitchen • Weekly Rental starts from Euro 630.00 •
Erected to provide shelter to herdsmen some 700 years ago, Leos Alm in the remote wilderness of the Lechtal Alps is situated close to the hamlet of Pfafflar. The historic wooden home is constructed of round tree trunks and dates back to the 13th century. For the construction of this house, neither a saw nor any metal was used. This listed building was completely refurbished in 2014 and is open for rental from May to October. Sleeping up to eight guests, this three bedroom cabin is perfect for a family or a group of friends.
• Elev. 1,200 meters • Accessible by car • 5 Bedrooms, Living Room, Kitchen • Weekly Rental starts from Euro 1,260.00 •
A sun-bleached timbered farmhouse. Balconies bedecked with flowers. A timber panelled parlour with tiled stove. Authentic timber planks. Outdoors, gorgeous and unspoilt natural scenery awaits. In a sunny foothill location overlooking the Wildschönau Valley, this farmhouse was built in 1832 and lies at an elevation of 1,200 meters. Fully refurbished, tastefully furnished and well equipped, the historic farmhouse is a home away from home for two to nine guests.
• Elev. 1,800 meters • Accessed within a 2 hour walk (optional luggage service by ropeway) • Living Area with Kitchenette, 3 Rooms • Weekly Rental starts from Euro 672.00 •
Sleeping up to eight guests, it takes a 2-hour walk to get to this quaint hunting lodge. Amenities even include a fish smoking oven as close to the hut you will find two lakes. Pull on your waders and fish for char and trout. Served in the fragrant Swiss stone pine timber panelled parlour, your fish dish will taste even more delicious.
• Elev. 2,000 meters • Within easy walking distance from the base of Hochpustertal Ski and Hiking Resort • 2 Bedrooms, Living Room, Kitchen • Weekly Rental starts from Euro 546.00 •
Scenic Villgratental Valley is a pristine and remote place and this 100-year old Alpine pasture hut evokes holidays from a century ago. There is no electricity and heating comes from a wood burning stove. Ice cold and crystal clear drinking water bubbles out from a well outside. This is a unique and rustic lodging experience for up to eight people.
• Elev. 900 meters • Accessible by car year-round • 3 Bedrooms, Farmer’s Parlour, Living Area with Kitchen • Weekly Rental starts from Euro 756.00 •
Cows, sheep, rabbits and Lucy, the cute miniature horse, are a few of many endearing souls guests encounter when staying overnight at this farmstead high above Inntal Valley. The farmhouse available for rental dates back to the year 1727 and offers 150 square meters of space to stretch out and relax for up to seven people. Moreover, there’s a hay bed waiting.
• Elev. 1,350 meters • Accessible by four-wheel-drive vehicles (snow chains) or by the complimentary, private Lodge Taxi • 3 Bedrooms, Living Area with Kitchenette, Outdoor Patio with Infrared Sauna • Weekly Rental starts from Euro 970.00 •
Overlooking the village of Alpbach, Bischoferhütte is a historic 150-year old lodge that has been lovingly restored to new splendour. This full log cabin is exquisitely decorated and offers all the creature comforts up to ten guests would expect for a getaway to the mountains, including infrared sauna and wood-burning fireplace.
• Elev. 1,000 meters • Ski or Hiker’s Shuttle Bus Stop in front of Schösserhof – within a 6 minutes’ walk from Zillertal Arena mid-mountain terminal • 2 Bedrooms, Living Area with Kitchen, Outdoor Patio • Weekly Rental starts from Euro 1,050.00 •
Built in 2014, this luxurious lodge is fully furnished in contemporary Alpine country house style. Natural materials like reclaimed wood and natural textiles like loden and wool were used to reflect the beauty of the landscape. Sleeping up to eight people, this place has all you would expect to find to make your holiday stay comfortable and relaxing, including timber panelled rooms, a tiled stove, Wi-Fi and ski boot dryers.
• Elev. 1,000 meters • Accessible by car along a well-graded forest road • 2 Bedrooms, Living Room, Kitchen • Weekly Rental starts from Euro 655.00 •
You will find this lovely, shingled hunting lodge tucked away in the woods. Outside there is a table and a fountain, the Swiss stone pine timber panelling inside glows and gleams. This rustic self-contained cabin sleeps up to eight people.
• Elev. 624 meters • Accessible by car year-round • 1 Bedroom, Living Area with Kitchenette, Outdoor Patio • Weekly Rental starts from Euro 644.00 •
Sitting close to a waterfall, red and white checkered curtains and a bench covered with sheepskins adorn the warm room. The four-person bunkroom is accessed by a ladder from the living area. On the outdoor patio, you can have fun cookouts under the stars with the charcoal grill and fountain. When you aren’t out exploring the scenic surroundings, you can take it easy at this rustic cabin that sleeps four guests. www.huettenland.com
• Elev. 2,000 meters • Accessed within a 15 minutes’ walk • 2 Bedrooms, Living Room, Kitchen • Weekly Rental starts from Euro 800.00 •
You’ll love staying at this Alpine pasture hut, situated in a lovely clearing at an elevation of 2,000 meters. Erected some 80 years ago, you can enjoy privacy in a peaceful part of the Alps with refurbished amenities. The hut is within a 45 minutes’ drive from Innsbruck and sleeps eight guests.
For more quaint mountain lodging experiences visit A Lovely Lodging Experience in Tirol .